At Mindstream, the VP, Strategy ensures our Strategy practice thrives at the intersection of business goals and customer needs.
Reporting to the COO, the VP, Strategy is an experienced, customer-focused leader, acting as the practice lead for our CX Strategy, Integrated Strategy, SEO & Analytics offerings.
The VP, Strategy is responsible for managing a team of talented senior practitioners while regularly collaborating with an extended agency teams including Creative, Social, UX, Technical and Account Service professionals across ongoing client relationships and project engagements spanning the entire Customer Journey.
She or he is a key contributor to client planning, roadmap definition and relationship building, while also playing a significant role in both business development and thought leadership initiatives.
This position draws from a wide range of skill sets, including (but not necessarily limited to): traditional account planning, Integrated, Digital, Brand & Business Strategy, and Customer Experience (CX) planning.
It is an expectation that the successful candidate will have expert-level knowledge in at least two of these areas and working knowledge with a desire to learn in those he or she currently does not.
Given the VP, Strategy’s purview over our Analytics and SEO practices, it is an expectation that the right candidate will understand and have an ability to foster those areas of expertise, but it is not required she or he be an expert in them.
The VP, Strategy will be a key member of agency leadership and will have significant influence across the majority of work that passes through the agency. A successful candidate will find a balance between empowering those on her or his team to effectively deliver and getting hands-on to ensure solutions shine.
Typical activities and deliverables will include:
- Leading and empowering a multi-faceted team of strategists, analysts & SEOs, including guidance and critique, resource planning, regular evaluation and career planning.
- Overseeing the development, and responsible for the quality, of:
- Holistic client roadmaps and engagement strategies (digital and omni-channel).
- Channel-specific engagement & activation strategies: Email, CRM, Marketing Automation.
- The agency’s CX Planning Tool – Customer Coreä – with emphasis on Customer Personas, Journey Maps and Impact Planning.
- Customer Experience (CX)-focused strategies, consulting and training.
- Planning and executing primary research and user testing (or actively overseeing third-party service providers, as needed).
- Analysis and interpretation of secondary research.
- A range of interactive workshops, in-person and remote, leveraging a variety of methodologies.
- All-inclusive “Immerse” phases for Mindstream project engagements, ensuring an effective 360-view into the client’s business, customer, competitive landscape and environmental context, resulting in actionable, insightful Findings & Recommendations documentation.
- Content strategies, spanning Story, Systems & Staffing, Standards and Success across multiple channels (in conjunction with Creative team members).
- Weekly, monthly and quarterly website and campaign performance strategies, reports and analysis.
- KPI definition, integrated ecosystem measurement plans and attribution modeling.
- Quarterly SEO retainer game plans and SEO-focused project activities (i.e. indexation, keyword planning, redirect strategy, etc.).
- Annualized client planning processes.
- When necessary, stepping in and acting as lead producer on high-complexity or high-profile projects within the VP, Strategy’s personal skill set.
- When necessary, developing (or overseeing the development of) new offerings and artifacts to meet unique client needs or white spaces in the market.
- Acting as a key member in new business and extension business initiatives, including pitch and RFP response support and acting as lead Subject Matter Expert as needed.
- Project estimation and activity/deliverable planning (or oversight thereof) for agency’s Strategy, Analytics and SEO project proposals and scopes of work.
- Contributing to Mindstream’s thought leadership and marketing platforms via blog content, conference and networking events, PR support, case study and white paper development.
Qualified candidates will meet as many of the following preferred skillset requirements as possible, with the understanding that on-the-job training will be provided to round out the candidate’s skillset if necessary:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 7+ years of experience in strategy, account planning, research and insights or related field(s) – agency experience across multiple verticals preferred.
- 5+ years in a managerial role, responsible for direct reports, including workload planning/allocation, utilization analysis, employee evaluation and project estimation.
- Expert-level written and verbal communication skills, with an openness to coaching and the ability to successfully “coach-up” others.
- Self-motivated, with ability to work both independently and collaborate with and/or oversee members of a team.
- Proven ability to:
- Persuasively advocate for transformative, forward-leaning solutions, often requiring significant case-making and consensus-building with clients.
- Draw connections – often non-traditional ones – and drive insights across business models, customer mindsets and frames of reference to develop unique, differentiating solutions and roadmaps.
- Identify trends and whitespaces for the agency and its clients; translate those opportunities into client engagements that drive business impact.
- Must have Strong-to-Expert-level knowledge, with deep expertise in at least two of the following areas:
- Customer Experience best practices, strategies, artifacts and research resources.
- Marketing strategy, including digital experience planning and an ability to articulate how a wide range of media touch points and tools can help support business goals.
- Independent research capabilities and analytical skills, including the ability to draw insights from patterns seen in data, including information organization and “dot connecting” skills.
- Cohesive, persuasive storytelling that clearly outlines opportunities, vision and a path to implementation, tailored to the appropriate audience in verbal and written formats.
Mindstream is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.